08 August 2011

Proud to be at Stay at Home Mom!




The other day a friend of mine said that someone she knows criticizes her for wanting to be a stay at home mom and said that she calls Stay at Home Moms “non working mothers” …I was thinking to myself is this woman SERIOUS? Please, do not feel like I am belittling those who have to work outside the home because I know it is definitely necessary at times. To those women who do have to work outside of the home I have nothing but respect for all that you do and your abilities to juggle home and job responsibilities. I spent the first 22 months of Annalyse’s life working outside of the home…and I can honestly say that I’ve never worked so hard or been so invested in my job as a Stay at Home Mom than I was when I was working outside the home (and I think most of my former coworkers would say that I worked pretty darn hard). I may not get up every morning, put on dress clothes, get in my car and drive to work, but I definitely work. I’m awake when she’s awake; I help her learn, teach her songs, play games, when she’s upset I struggle, when she’s happy I’m happy. When she has nap time I catch up on the chores she won’t let me finish or spend time on projects I have going on. I plan out meals (and now I cook most of them). I think that some believe that being a stay at home mom is just playing with your child/children all day… I Wish! I have one of the most demanding bosses one could have…a two year old. But, this job that I have is the most rewarding job too. The blessings are infinite and way better than any pay check I could be earning. The Family: a Proclamation to the World says “By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed” and I believe that whole heartedly". I know and understand that there are situations that obviously make it difficult for all mothers to be stay at home moms, but WHEN POSSIBLE mothers should make all the effort they can to do so. I just want to defend the choice to stay at home with your children and care for them. Gone are the days when it is the expectation for women to stay at home with their children.


To close, I found this interesting statistic from salry.com
Are you wondering what mom should be paid for her work as mom? Salary.com has valuated the "mom job" of both the Working and Stay-at-Home Moms! Based on a survey of over 6,500 mothers, Salary.com determined that the time mothers spend performing 10 typical job functions would equate to an annual salary of $115,432 for a stay-at-home mom. Working moms 'at-home' salary is $63,472 in 2011; this is in addition to the salary they earn in the workplace.
The job titles that best matched a mom's definition of her work are (in order of hours spent per week): housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, facilities manager, van driver, psychologist, laundry machine operator, janitor and chief executive officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment